Sunday, May 2, 2010

Musical Theater


I think I have posted before about my family's long car trips from Michigan to the Atlantic Ocean. year after year, we would pile into the jeep and head east for some ocean beach and fun. For the two day road trip my mom packed up little goodie bags, treats, books, and gigantic tape cassette box that held hundreds (might be a slight exaggeration) of our favorite tapes. Of course we had my mom's favorites, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, and John Denver. We also had my dad's, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Harry Belafonte. There was always plenty of classical tapes and there were musicals. Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, Annie, A Chorus Line and the list goes on. I think the show tunes were always our favorites. At least I think we sang them the loudest.

Well, last summer, Baby C watched his first musical on DVD with his cousins, the Sound of Music. It was an immediate favorite and has become a cornerstone in many conversations in their household. This past December, my nephew watch Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, starring Donnie Osmond, with his friend 8 year old J from North Carolina. They watched it over and over again. Singing and dancing together. They would even perform little shows for the moms to watch. Go, Go, Go Joseph! Was the talk and 'shout' of the town. Everything was about Joseph. My nephew ate it up!

Musical theater! Toddlers love it! Great visual literacy at work! Enjoy the watch! Enjoy the read!




No comments:

Post a Comment